Adams Electric awards up to eight (8) scholarships in the amount of $1,000 each to college students who are currently enrolled in and taking classes at a post-secondary school or accredited training program (two-year, four-year or trade/technical) AND are sons or daughters of a co-op member.
The cooperative works in partnership with the Adams County Community Foundation to administer these scholarships. Applications are accepted each year from Jan. 1 through mid-March.
Applications are reviewed by Adams Electric’s Scholarship Committee in April of each year and then winners are recommended to the board of directors for final approval. Winners are typically announced in early May.
To qualify for a scholarship, an applicant must meet the following criteria:
- The student — the son or daughter of a co-op member — must have at least one parent or guardian currently receiving electric service from Adams Electric with an account(s) in good standing, and the parent or guardian must live in Pennsylvania at the time of the student’s application for a scholarship.
- The student must be enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student and have completed at least one semester at an accredited college/university or an accredited training program (two-year, four-year or trade/technical). Current transcript required with application.
- A head and shoulders photo is required with application.
- The recipient shall be allowed to retain their scholarship for one year from the date of selection, even if they have dropped or are auditing courses if they are still incurring expenses equal to or greater than the amount of the scholarship. Scholarship funds are dispersed in $500 increments per semester, directly to the school a recipient will attend.
- All scholarships shall be in effect for one year from the date they are approved by the board of directors.
- Adams Electric Cooperative employees, directors, scholarship committee members and previous Adams Electric scholarship recipients are not eligible.